Fishing Sensory Cushion Description:
This fishing sensory cushion will be constructed of one colour backing and one colour front with a zip closure.
Size – 45cm x 45cm
Each cushion is custom made and therefore unique. It will contain 5 fiddle items which may include:
- Netting which is attached and allows for felt fish cut outs to be placed inside
- Use a swatch of fabric like weather proof material heavy duty for texture effect
- Appliqués of fishing images
- A fish design made from sequin fabric for texture
- Clear pocket with fishing hooks inside but sealed to minimise risk
- Small fishing reel with fishing line
Benefits and use for people with a dementia
This fishing sensory cushion has been designed for use for people living with a dementia. Many people with a dementia, particularly those in later stages, can experience responsive actions which can appear as restlessness or agitation. In fact, people are seeking for meaningful engagement and activity. These items have been designed to support engagement and activity for people who find comfort in them. They can be used to stimulate discussion and reminiscence about the specific themes and items which are attached to the various soft apparel. Being busy and occupied is important for maintaining well-being and reduces the risk of expressions of ill-being. The sensory range of cushions and blankets whilst providing purpose and functionality provide an engagement of the persons senses and this in turn, supports wellness.